About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Who wears the ring, is loved and loving?

Posted by Don Paine

I wondered how many paid attention to the fact that the royal wedding was a single ring ceremony.

If you have ever lost a wedding ring this is a message for you and your spouse.  Check the origin of the double ring ceremony and the single ring ceremony.  You will find many stories.  One is that the man never wore a wedding ring because he worked in the fields, fought in wars, hunted game and for none of them would a ring be a helpful thing in fact could create harm and danger.  The double ring ceremony became a way of modern society trying to bring mutual commitment to fore in the marriage by inviting both spouses to wear a symbol of their eternal and pure love.  Marriage since the inception of the double rings ceremony, which most men happily and supportively go along with, have suffered a decline in faithfulness in marriage.  If what we do, is not working to get what we want, maybe we need to rethink what we are doing?

Did Prince William think about this and say to Katherine.  Trust my love.  I will not wear a ring but I pledge to you my love.  Trust my words and my heart.  We are no more or less married whether I wear a ring or not.  The reality is more important than the symbol.

Maybe this is why men lose their wedding rings more than women.  It is not because they do not care as a woman may feel in her "sacred heart" it is because they want there spouse to trust their words and there heart and not the symbol of the same.  The men of our day may need to take a lead form Prince William.

I am not saying we as men should not were wedding rings.  I love my wife and love the ring on my finger that is a symbol of that love.  I know that she would not feel less loved and I would not be less loving if I lost that ring tomorrow.

The reality is more important than the symbol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment