About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Walking and Watching and Learning

Posted by Don Paine

I was on my morning walk.  It was 5:45 am.  I was listening to the birds sing as they only do early in the morning.  I was imagining what they were saying.  Al creations seems to have a song in the morning different from the evening.  A violent storm had come through the night before and it was as if nature was celebrating surviving and thriving in the joy of the morning.  Peace and serenity breads peace and serenity as I meditate.  I realize that walking is not just exercise for my body but it is exercise for my meditative soul and spirit.

Then in front of me across the middle of the road making it impossible to pass, I saw a fallen tree.  Struck no doubt by lightening a tree had fallen.  It's life cut down suddenly.  It interrupted my peace and serenity.

I walked through the cemetery, the only way around the fallen tree.  I thought of my brother who two summers ago was cut down suddenly from the land of the living.  It jolted my peace and serenity.  At first yes but over time it actually deepened my peace and serenity over time.  Interestingly later I received from my sister in law the picture of the stone erected in honor of my brother.  "Walking with Jesus" was the script.  I realized that in two different worlds we were both walking with Jesus that day.  I thanked God.

As I passed the fallen tree I noticed that cars and trucks were not yet advised of the fallen tree so I began to try and flag them down to warn them to save them a few 100 feet of travel then a mile, as I kept walking.  Probably about 12 driving machines passed me.  It was still early in the morning.  Some ignored my attempt to help or warn them. Some looked at me like I was a crazy man.  Some waved as if I was a friendly man.  Some honked at me as if I was a rude man in the middle of their road.  I thought how God sends people and events into our lives to warn us and help us and we sometimes drive right by.A few slowed down even stopped.  I informed that that the road was out and they had to turn around.  One person actually on her return by me after she went on and turned around rolled down her window and said, "Thank you very much.  Have a nice day." One in twelve stopped to say thank you.  Human nature is human nature.  We all have one so we all see ourselves in all things and learn and grow.  At first I was upset that no one was listening or thanking me then I realized that I often do not listen or say thank you.

 I reflected how events in life can offer us an opportunity to listen to the warning signs the helpful things and people God puts in our path.  We can often take all life for granted. I breathed a deep breath of fresh air and said.

Thank You, brother Phil for helping me to treasure living.

0 comments:

Post a Comment