About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Mother's Day Tribute

Posted by Don Paine

God could not be everywhere so he created mothers.  That is both true and not true.  It is not true that God cannot be everywhere at the same time because he or they.  What is true is that God's tangible presence is felt in my life by mothers who can seem to be always there in a perennial and purposeful way. 


My mother, and my two daughters who are mothers reflect this kind of loving presence.  Paul the apostle summarized the gift of a mother's presence in this way, she has "spiritual power, a spirit of love, and a spirit of self discipline" (II Timothy 1:5).  This love dwelt in Grandmother Lois, and Mom Eunice, and in future moms as well according to Paul.

Spiritual power is the power to be there without an agenda, accusation, or attack.  It is not power over your children it is creating a power under and in your children by being along side of them supporting their growth through the ups and downs of childhood.  

Spirit of love is "love first not because other things do not matter but because when discipline is done in the context and framework of love it feels different and is received differently.

Spirit of self-discipline is the ability and the discipline to control oneself in the modeling of self-control.  One of the cluster of the fruit of the spirit, self-control is at the heart of a loving God.  It is not about controlling others or getting others to be under my control and direction, it is about loving them, my children, into loving surrender.  God in Christ modeled this love for us.  Sometimes I got what I deserved from my mother.  I watch as my daughters try to be good mothers and give their children my grandchildren what they deserve, punishment for what they unintentionally did.  At the same time I thank God that there are times that I do not get what I deserve and I learn to be better because better was done to me.

Mother's love as God loves and that makes them a gift from God.

Thank you all Moms.

0 comments:

Post a Comment