About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Religious tolerance a key, respectfulness too

Posted by Don Paine

President Obama said that "religious tolerance" is a key to peace in the world.

There is part of me that says that is true.  Intolerance of other religions is certainly a trigger for wars between nations and groups.  So it follows that tolerance would decrease the need for such divisiveness and duplicity.  I want the freedom to practice my religious faith but I do not want to give you the same freedom.  That certainly is self-serving and not a community building posture.  Tolerance is a key.

However beyond tolerance there is developing the capacity to embrace in am empathetic and empowering way other religious faiths for other people while not lessening the distinctive and dignity of my own religious faith.  I might call this "religious respectfulness".  It would be a call not just for tolerance but for actually embracing the parallel desire of all religious faith groups to encourage and teach people to live in love and peace with oneself, ones God and one's neighbor.

I do not have to agree with you or impose my beliefs on you.  I can simply and profoundly respect and value other people and other people's faith.  this would be more than tolerance it would be embrace.  An empathetic embrace of all communities of faith by all communities of faith would increase respect and dialogue without tension, desire to control, or the fear of being denied mutual respect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment