About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

A Royal Wedding, A Pope beatified, A Terrorist Killed; Part 3 Stories of the Head and Heart

Posted by Don Paine

All of that sounds like a celebration weekend.  But on Monday morning I find my heart very heavy and is sadness and mourning.

I have a part that celebrates with so many others who along with President Obama are jubilant at the death of Osama bin Laden.  He was the master plan of murdering many innocent people even beyond 9/11.  All those who have died in Afghanistan since 9/11, Pakistan and elsewhere are soldiers who for the cause of freedom have given their lives and their families and friends hold the pain of their loss.  That is not just Americans' but all who have died in war.  I grieve their loss.  I celebrate the sense of some justice being served.  President Obama declared that "justice has been served".

This is where I step into a very unpopular opinion:  I do not think justice is served when might makes wiping out several lives good.  Yes, I applaud no US casualties.  I applaud the bold and swift action of the Navy Seals.  However, I am laden with a deep sadness.  It is not because bin Laden is dead.  It is not because I think he was a nice guy, he was a despot and worse.  It is not that no justice was served.  It is that it is a sad day when the only thing we can do is "kill" or "be killed".  In bin Laden's mind there was a story. It went something like this America is evil and all they touch they corrupt with evil.  They must pay for the hurt and pain there power and might have caused in the world.  He thought in only one way and because of that he inflicted pain and hurt on others.  The story in his head was of his wounds.  Our story, the one in our head that says it is okay to do what we did, is the opposite story caused by the same wounds to our head and heart. One way thinking is the cause of perpetual unrest and perennial wars.  Peace is the answer but it must be embraced by all for all.

I mourn today that we cannot seem to find a way of "world peace" because we resort to human power.
I am sad that it came to his for the pain and hurt to the family and friends of Bin Ladden is as deep and as provocative as mine.

One bright hope in Secretary of State's speech, as Hilary Clinton, a woman who understands hurt and pain, stated "our message to the Taliban is you cannot wait us out, you can make a choice to participate in a peaceful political process" to end the violence in our world.

That will be a day that I celebrate with jubilation.  It will be the year of Jubilee!

0 comments:

Post a Comment