About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Meeting up with a friend in a small town

Posted by Don Paine

I walked down for a cup of coffee this morning.  A part of me felt I was lazy as I could brew a cup of coffee for myself.  Another part of me said it is not about coffee it is about connections.  So an excusing part, rationalizing part you be the judge or just suspend the judging part.

I was dressed up as I was preaching in a church about 30 miles away.  Two men were sitting on the bench outside the little town market in West Stockbridge, MA. The town welcomers noticed my memorial day tie. I recognized one of them as the former owner who I had not seen for 6 months.  The other the current owner.  Conversations ensued as connections were made and remade.

Bernie Fallon had just written and published a book, "Goodology".  I told him I was ready to blog about waco-ology that the theology and ecclesiology of the religious world was so confining and constrictive no one was caring much anymore about organized church.  It is all good.  It is what we make it.  Bernie's book from his own life adventures and experiences seemed to coalesce with mine.  We shared learning stories, life lessons, and similar conclusions.

We concluded if everyone spun good into everything there would be more goodness in the world.  With more goodness in the world their would be less spinning.  God had spun a tale in both of us that we were finding strangely parallel.  Our shared stories are not important. That their is a shared story in many of us is profound and propelling.  In a world of pretense and pretext this is neither.  It is real and it is about life.  It is good.

I told him the simplest thing I had heard in my travels: "If it is to be it is up to me".  Ten words none bigger than two letters but with deep meaning.

Can't wait to read "Goodology".  I am sure it is good!

So is your judger off or is it all just good.

The coffee was good the connection great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment