About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

The pursuit of happiness

Posted by Don Paine

I read a piece on the "pursuit of happiness" one of the things our fore fathers and mothers had as a concept of what we as human beings have a right to.

I began to think about the things that make me happy and noticed that they all had to do with some action done by me to someone else or to me from someone else.

A group of 7 co-workers in Albany, NY won the lottery and there 7 way split netted them 19 million dollars after taxes.  Everyone talked as they did of how happy this made them.  I get that.  I could pay off all my debts, quit my job give to family and friends and still have money to spare.  So is that not happiness.

A part of me says yes.  Another part says "not so much".  True happiness I think is more when I am out for my walk filled with gratitude, being gracious toward others who are not in as good health, or not in a place of freedom where they can walk in safety, or not wondering where my next meal is coming from, or not  having a friend to visit, or not having faith, hope or love in my inner being.

Happiness is internal and eternal.  It is about peace inside.  It is about faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love.

If I am loved and have people that I love I am happy regardless of anything.

Free to pursue that kind of happiness.  I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment