About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Who is in control?

Posted by Don Paine

With natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis, and human disasters like political protests and violence all over the globe who is in control.

Control is a major issue of humanity.  People like to be in control and no one likes being controlled.  No wonder the world is on a collision course.  Some believe that God is in control and so they say things like: It is God's will?  Really?  Do we seriously believe that it is God;s will for human tragedy to occur daily, for families to be ravaged by war or earthquakes?  What kind of a God would do that or even allow that.

I know that people for centuries have believed and lots of religions have taught that God is in control.  I also know it is risky to take a different position than the masses.  My bet is that people not theologians secretly know that there is something wrong with theology that teaches that God is in control.  If they are wrong it has set us all up.  If they are right they have set God up to be either an unconcerned diplomat or a calculating and obsessed control monger.

I am part of a denomination that believes God is still speaking in our day.  I do not think God is speaking anything new but I do think God is speaking through people who honesty assess and are open to truth.  Not new truth but a new perspective on old truths that creates clarity, clarifications, and more sensible teachings for a sound mind in our chaotic times.

We project as Freud suggested a God is in control father image so we can feel less threatened and less anxious only to find ourselves in a depressive anxious state. But if God is not in control who is?

How would you answer that.  I will control myself and hold my thoughts until tomorrows blog entry.  For now give it some thought yourself?

I will speak on this tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment