About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Wake up, and smell....

Posted by Don Paine

I was up late last night watching March Madness Basketball.....so now I am awake in a new day and know it is not just about basketball.

I saw a quote from Alice Walker who has walked through and I do mean through "the hell of her abuse an pain at the hand of supposed care givers".  She said, "wake up and smell the possibilities".   I wake up to the possibilities of a new day because I have found rest for my soul.  Rest is so good.  When God created us and saw that it was all good (Genesis 1:31).  And God saw everything that he had made and saw that it was very good".

Honestly, it is hard for me to see everything that happens or that is as "very good".   But that is not what I now in my "awake state of possibilities" see.  It is that whatever is fits and flows with whatever else is.  I see good in it and I work to pour good into it.  To do that I need to find "rest for my soul".  I need to wake up and see the world differently because I have rested my "thoughts about what should be" into God's thoughts of the wonder of possibilities.  I can smell them because God has given me a fresh sense.

Now that makes sense.  I rest in the possibilities when I smell them.  I get my nose out of other smells and smell the fragrance of God's presence that  changes all things.  It is not that all things are very good it is that all things become very good for and in me!

I rest.  I smell.  I live. I love. I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment