About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

After you die

Posted by Don Paine

I was driving down the highway and saw a bulletin board that announced, "after you die you will meet God".  I wondered the intent of the writer and dispenser.  Does it elicit fear or enhance faith.  I thought of an earlier time in my life when I thought of death and standing before God as a time of judgment.  After death the scripture does tell us there is judgment. "It is appointed to man once to die and after that judgment" (Paul).  I recalled a woman who I visited in the nursing home who had decided that she was ready to die which was upsetting to family and friends who wanted her to stay here on earth with them.  That was really more about them than her.  She said tome with eyes of excitement and anticipation, "I am ready to meet my maker".  I said to her, that I hear that her maker is a really neat person to meet.  We both laughed a laugh of genuine anticipation.

An evangelist once asked me, if you  were to die and go to heaven's gate and God were to ask you why he should let you into his heaven.  What would you say.  I would say, I cannot think of one good reason why you should let me k=into your heaven as I accept your judgment of me as being undeserving of heaven but I also have a part that understands that your heart is open to receiving me into your heaven so I trust in your love for me.

So I would like to amend the billboard for clarity, in honor of this nameless woman whose name is written in heaven.

After you die you will be welcomed by the God whose loving arms welcome everyone!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment