About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

An Eye for an Eye

Posted by Don Paine

Years ago Gandhi said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".  Who am I to add to or change the brilliant man's idea.  At the same time, an eye for an eye world creates a world of one eye people as you need at lest one eye to see to pluck another's eye out.  So "one eye" produces one way seeing and thinking in the world.  It does not allow for diverse ways of seeing the world it see "one way" its way and no one else's.  This is what is worse than a blind world, a world in which everyone sees in their way and cannot see the way another culture or people views the same thing.

I recall my kids singing in a musical in church as youth, "I trouble", "eye trouble" me myself and I trouble.
We cause most of our own trouble in the world then want God to make it all okay.  Really.  What if we all set aside our ego needs and wants and embraced our responsibility to see with eyes wide open, with eyes that had lost one eye but see with multi-vision from the light side.

An eye for an eye attitude leaves the world in conflict as the eyes do not respect other eyes but want to be done with them . Each eye wants to be the most important part. Each eye must see the other eye, respect its ideas, thoughts and vision.  The "I am who I am" must see and respect the "You are who you are".  Only then, when mutual respect is present will every human beings see their responsibilities as equally important as their rights.

Open eyes, open heart, open ears, open lives lead to "peace" that comes not through military power and dominance but through mature responsibility and mutual respectfulness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment