About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

The Real Pope stands out

Posted by Don Paine

In a day where the news is full of athletes who think only about themselves, their money, their fame, about winning and money it is refreshing to see an athlete stand out from the crowd.  It is true that the media tends to put the bad stories on the front page still even though we are in a new century of enlightenment?

It is also try that humanity in general still seems to pursue money and profits more than integrity and honesty. Have you ever walked away from a counter and realized they gave you too much change.  No one was around so no one would ever know.  Did you pocket the money and say "his loss my gain".   Did you reason you did nothing wrong and he just made a mistake?

Several weeks ago we went on a one day trip, budget version so off season, to a resort town.  After walking the beach, swimming a bit our golden retriever went totally in the other two humans in descending degrees of wet then walked the small town.  No crowds made it more fun.  Afterwards we stopped at a little ice cream shop.  Debbie went in for ice cream while I managed the dog, sorry Ginger.   then I went in to get my ice cream and of course ice cream for Ginger.  I paid what the man charged me.  Walked back to Ginger and Mom.  As we were all enjoying our ice cream.  I told Debbie how much I paid and she said that is not right then we realized that he forgot to charge us for her ice cream and I had assumed she had paid.  We went back in to the store and made it right.  Then ice cream man said, "I cannot believe it you are the first people who have ever come back to make it right!"  How sad.  It is in the isolated moments that true character comes out.  I am not saying we always do the right thing more concerned about doing the right thing than profit or gain.  I confess I had a part that said, his mistake our profit.  Thankfully I was in control of that part not that part in control of me.

Yesterday Leonard Pope, an NFL football player with the San Diego Chiefs, was at a pool party and heard the cry of a mother for her son who was drowning .  Without through for the cell phone in his pocket or anything else except the need of this little boy he dove into the water and came up with the boy.  I do not know if he is a Christian but his behavior and focus was that which mirrored Jesus who thought of all of us more than he did himself and dove into humanity to save humanity form drowning. I is not about what you believe as much as how your belief translates into actions.  He stated that he did not have time to think it was just a reaction without thought.  He had to act.  He dove in without any thought except this 6 year old boy will drown if no one does anything.  He did not look around to see if anyone else was doing anything.  He acted in calmness and compassion form inside.  What a role model for all kids and people.

The real Pope stood tall in that moment.  In the tradition of the first Pope, Peter.  He did for another without thought of self, without thinking about gain.  This is an athlete in action.  The content of character is what really matters after all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment