About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Messianic Complex, Messianic calling

Posted by Don Paine

I was turning the corner to my home form my walk when I noticed a friend drive up to his shop in  his pick up truck.  I had just checked my watch and said, "wow, I am behind better get to my blog".  I walked by then turned around and greeted him with, "I know you are busy but I figure if I am too busy to stop and say how are you doing to a friend I am too busy".  We laughed and chatted some and here I am.

Meditative walks are great but my mind has so many parts, thoughts and feelings what do you focus on.  I felt a little gentle breeze reminding me of a moment in time that a part had encapsulated and stored.  I was sitting in a hot seat, a great storm of conflict in the church had emerged, with the help of many parts in many people.  I had a part hat felt like it was a good manger and could help the church thought the conflict.
A group of leaders were gathered to be of help and they tole me I had a messianic complex.  I could get side tracked into how they thought I did and I thought I did not and it would all be for not so good!  So I step back.  Stepping back shifting perspective is an amazing thing and has an amazing effect on broadening your heart and enlightening your mind.

Why do we refer to something in someone as a messianic complex in a negative way.  We should not have that.  Should I not want to be help.  Should I not take a step back from "busy" to see a friend who I know is going through difficult times and not stop to say hello.  This could help start his day in a good way and mine.

The messiah is one who was able to step back and let humanity do whatever yet remain in peace.  He was never triggered by negative thoughts about self, God or others as he was always seeing more than anyone else.  Maybe this is a messianic calling.  A calling to "help" in little ways.  Ways that are not perceived to be helpful at first but in the end are what really counts.

I was going to blog about some theology stuff today.   I think this is more important.  If by Messianic Complex we mean that people think themselves to be the messiah when they are not I get that. What if we thought of the messianic complex as a complex of ideas that are not ego-centric but Christo-centric.
What if my theology or "got to get to work" thoughts are ego-centric, and stopping to say hello to a friend is a messianic complex of compassion and care as the primary rudders stirring the boat in the river of this day?

So step back, to step up and out into your day and have a good messiah day.  Be a sent one to someone to someone today.  Don't let it go to your head but let it come from your heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment