About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Perspective Shift

Posted by Don Paine

It is Monday morning.  The disciples are waking up with a whole new perspective.  They had failed. They had failed to hear God, to stand up with Jesus through his days of suffering, and they had failed to make what really matters matter.  Their perspective was changing from thinking about themselves is a self-protective way to thinking about others in a loving and caring way.  This was the way of Jesus.

 Some 1980 years later, I wake up.  You wake up.  Do we wake up with a new perspective.  On my morning walk I was thinking and praying for my children, my wife, my brothers, my mother you know the routine ending in praying for all people of earth.  A memory flooded my soul about my son.  He was about 12 and singing in a musical along with his sisters at the church his dad was pastor of.  The musical was "I Trouble", me myself and I trouble.  I reflected on that then realized we all have "I trouble, me myself and I trouble".  We see things in only one way, our way.  We taped that musical at church.  My son thinking about his desire to tape a sports event taped over that recording, thinking only of himself.  I got mod when I discovered it, thinking only about myself.  I reflected how brilliant my son was.  Had he not taped over it his dad probably would have played it at his wedding last November.  It would have been one of those most embarrassing moments.  Trust me my son and I, as people, have embarrassed ourselves in other ways over the years.  It is about perspective.

The disciples eyes were opening.  They were seeing things differently and so they were choosing to live there lives differently.  The eye of faith sees what no one else sees.  the eye of faith sees my "I trouble" and shifts into seeing myself and the worked in equally loving and caring ways.  It is never just about me. It is never just about them.

It is never just about what I think about anything.  It is always being able to see other perspectives that helps me to live life in perspective.

0 comments:

Post a Comment