About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

More mad

Posted by Don Paine

It is amazing how life challenges us to live out our convictions or musings. A m I really changed by challenges?

Yesterday, when I and Debbie arrived at the church we attend, I looked at the bulletin and I was mad.  Not a calamity in the world, nor a huge issue but I was mad.  I had worked with a church committee to get a sensitive and sensible bulletin insert just right.  It had already gone out once incorrectly so I had made it clear and confirmed the changes.  I had sent it "camera ready" to the church secretary.  What was in the bulletin resembled an earlier draft but with additions and omissions at will.  I was done.  I was mad that I had and others had worked so hard to make this "just right" only to have been ignored.  I was mad.  I was not mad in the sense that I was going to take someone's head off or lose my own but I was mad.  I realized that this was an opportunity to live out the "Does God get  Mad" from yesterdays blog. As I thought about it I realized that the essential message though veiled a bot and confusing as now there is another and still inaccurate version of the insert, it was not all that big a deal.  What was hurtful is to have done all this work and then to feel ignored.  I realized that God has done a lot of work and I sometimes ignore, you guessed it,  God!

In our youth Sunday School Class in which we were talking about "treating others better than you" (Philippians 2:3).  A weird principle because it is not true that others are better than me.  That is not what it says.  A youth put it this way.  "If you treat others better than yourself you treat them well and if everyone did that then everyone would feel well and everything would be well!".

I told them the story of getting mad then realizing that grace toward the people was the call of true Christianity.  I then realized it was not such a big deal.  Then realized that the people who apparently ignored me are caring people who usually do not ignore.  they are better than me. Then I realized that I, without intention, ignore Debbie that woman who God has given me as a help and support!  Then I realized I needed to treat her and others well as better than me then I would be better than me.

While I bet you are better than me, I bet you can hear the challenge and change too!  I did! I hope I do again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment