About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Genesis Musings

Posted by Don Paine

So What is the Knowledge of Good and Evil/Not Good/Bad and why did God place this tree in the "middle" of the garden.

I often muse about this so want to keep my musing to a short concise statement but I am tempted to give you all of my thoughts.  Too much is just hat too much.  So let me do what might seem an arrogant or egoistic thing that is speak as if I were God which I am not.

So I want you to know that I put the tree in the middle of the garden because always and for all time the temptation to reach for that which is self destructive is right in the middle of whatever you are going through, wherever you are walking wether in a garden or in a storm the temptation to be irrespective of limits, of other people, and /or of nature is omnipresent.  In any given situation people can act in a self centered "reach out and take whatever I want" without concern for the impact and effect on anyone else is rife.  The freedom of choice I gave to humanity had to include the freedom to use that freedom in a self destructive way.  When Adam and Eve, who please note from Genesis 3:8 were together while the whole internal and external discussion about this tree was going on.   The discussion was about its fruit, the pleasant taste and sight of it.  It included why I gave it, and why I gave a prohibition about it suggesting that my fear was that the day they ate of this tree they would be as God, as me, knowing Good and Evil.  Really?  How absurd!  Here is the partial truth veiling the real truth.  It is true, they became as God knowing good and evil (cf Genesis 3:22) but it is not true that they became as God.  It is one thing to know good and evil without the moral fiber to choose the good and reject the evil.  It is another thing to know good and evil and have the moral capacity to always choose the good, to always work all things together for good, to always be good in your heart toward the bad that people do in the world.  That in a word is, God!

So I put the tree there to help you to know that respect for limits is good and healthy, and disrespect of limits, of people, of anything that I have given is itself the nature of moving a good thing to a bad/evil/or not good status.

So enough musing for today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment