About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

St Francis for the 21st Century

Posted by Don Paine

Somethings should not be tampered with but I was recently reading this comforting prayer of St Francis and imagined that he would revise it in the 21st Century some 10 Centuries later.

You are free to reject the following revision.  It is my musing. Use it if you like discard it if you prefer the original.  Hopefully there is value in both.


God of all, make me as an instrument of intrinsic peace.
Where there is hatred, let me offer love.
Where there is injury, let me offer compassion.
Where there is doubt, let me offer a human embrace.
Where there is despair, let me offer a holding heart.
Where there is darkness, let me offer the contentment of presence.
Where there is sadness, let me offer the envelope of kindness.
O Divine Leader and Model,
grant that I may first console, and then find I am consoled and consoling;
grant that I may first understand, and then be understood and understanding;
that I may first love, then be loved and loving.
For it is in giving that we receive, and in receiving we give again
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned and become pardoners
and it is in being willing to die that we rise from dead things and
are born anew, now, to Eternal Loving and Living.
Amen.

Okay here is the original, I love it too!

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.


0 comments:

Post a Comment