About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Welcoming

Posted by Don Paine

I was walking with a friend yesterday morning and he commented that he does not feel welcome in the church.

I said interesting thing to share.  So what would make you feel welcome?, I asked. Nothing he grumbled

It reminded me of a conversation I had with the leadership of the church that had called me to be there pastor.

There was a university just down the road so I asked, what did you do to make students welcome here?
The response, "we built the church right close to them".  It seemed they thought everyone in the neighborhood would feel the church was here for them.  It might have been that way a few centuries ago but not today.

I am glad God didn't say I built the earth close to heaven so they would feel welcome. God sent his son into the world, to where people are.  The idea of God is that you have to go to people not expect them to come to you.  

I shared with my friend that I had been at a committee meeting of a church.  One person asked me if I knew about the church in Worcester that is an outdoor church, I said yes and gave her the information she wanted.   I then said to the group why don't we have some services in the beautiful green in front of our church
I noted that many walk by the church and some of them might stop to visit if we were out there where they are.

My friend said he would stop into  service that was outside and inviting.

Interesting!

"If you build it they will come, does not make people feel welcome ! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment