About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

What ever you so you will reap, Boomerangs always boomerang!

Posted by Don Paine

I was out walking along a river walk in Spokane Washington.  It was an early Sunday morning and as is my custom I was up exploring a new area as a "fast walker".  I had noticed that River Walk and Gonzaga University which I had heard of but never visited.  I had checked with the hotel clerk who said it was about 6 miles out so a 12 mile walk.  I had in my mind coming back to the hotel with a Starbucks to surprise my wife.  We had been at my nephews wedding the day before so wanted to do this to affirm not just my heart for but my thoughtfulness toward my wife who loves "Starbucks, Iced Venti Chai".  So I had decided I hd to just enjoy the river walk as far as I got and let go of the desire to walk on the campus of Gonzaga!

As I walked a man named Brad came up from behind me as I was sending an email to family that had not been able to attend the wedding wit pictures etc.  Yes from my iPhone.  The man greeted me from behind saying he was impressed that I was moving right along while texting.  We began to chat and for the next hour walked and talked together.  It was his custom to walk every Sunday morning the river walk to Gonzaga and back which according to him (the tone who doe sit can be trusted better than the one who never has, i.e. the desk clerk at the hotel).  He confirmed it was a 6 mile loop, the exact distance I was looking to do.  We may never see each other again but we added to each others life and day as we walked and talked of many things.

thanks Brad!

What was really encouraging of me is that I had done this kind of things in walks and marathons in cities all over the world.  I had gone up to strangers and began a conversation that sometimes became an extended sharing of lives.

The acts of kindness had come back around to me and it made it feel twice as good, a kind of double the pleasure.

When was the last time you doubled the pleasure by a small act of kindness, of befriending a stranger, or of just being an agent of care?

Yes Debbie loved her chai!

0 comments:

Post a Comment