About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

My best marathon finisher ever!

Posted by Don Paine


As I wrote my blog yesterday I was recalling the best marathon experience of my life or at least one of the best.

It was several years ago.  I was running the Quebec City Marathon/Marathon des Deux Rives which was on a hot day at the end of August.  The marathon corse was overwhelmingly beautiful scenic and serene, breath taking and breath giving all at once.  I was there to do a Worship Service with a local Catholic French Priest for all the runners.  It went splendidly.

I did not know it at the time but the greatest moment was yet ahead of me as walking the talk is more important that talking of the walk!

I had labored partly due to the heat and partly due to the fact that it was my third marathon that year.  I had had an injury to my foot that had me hobbling to the finish line.  I was committed to finishing.  The ambulance pick up vehicle was on my heals.  If you have ever done a marathon and were fighting for last place you know what that is like.

As I came down the stretch, the last 5 miles, I noticed a few runners in the distance ahead of me.  I decided to try to catch at least one of them.  This is my competitive part for sure.  I did catch and pass a man considerable older than me that was having more trouble than me.  As I approached a woman about to pass her, I began to think, "What am I doing?"  I had just ran by someone and barely grunted a keep going as I went by him.  Where was that loving compassionate God inside that I had in French and English talked about making a difference in the des Deux Marathon experience.  Halted and hallowed by mown preaching coming back to my ears.  I turned around and ran in the opposite direction of the finish line.  I ran back to the man I had passed five minutes ago.  The ambulance pick up vehicle that was now at his heals was looking at me like I was crazy.  Maybe a part of me was crazy but another part of me had decided that I needed to go back and run with this man across the finish line.
As I greeted him, he smiled and indicated that he was from Quebec and spoke very little English.  I spoke a little more french so stumbled through a pleasant conversation but the act was beyond words.
I was with him and he was with me.  Neither one would finish alone or last.  We would be last together so no one would be last.

What a message of hope and love filled me as I did this intentional actor kindness. It was my worst adn slowest marathon from one perspective. It was my best marathon ever from a another. It was not about me. It was not about finishing a marathon but my hurting parts and frustrated parts standing to the side so my part that could see it from another side could step up. It was not about me it was about the common bond between people different yet the same.  It was about finishing a marathon in the style of true faith.  It is not about who wins but about being with all who run so no one finished last.  It is an alongside moment.  A moment with anyone and everyone with an act of kindness that makes any day a  better day.

We crossed the finish line hands joined and arms and hearts high!  It was  a great moment.

After getting our medals we lost each other in the crowd and I went to the wading pool at the finish line where other runners we re soaking their tired feel.. I took my worn sneakers and sox off and follow their lead.  As I sat align the edge with my feet cooled and comforted by the water a man came up to me.  He looked younger than me.  He was dressed in nice shorts, sandals and a clean shirt, obviously not a runner. He leaned over and said,  "I want to thank you" Merci beaucoup! "You helped my father cross the finish line, and that was so nice he nor I will ever forget it.  It was so kind of you.  Please let me thank you."  I told him that it was me that this was my slowest and best marathon ever and I will not quickly forget it.  So than you.  He had already put his dad in the car to go home but he took the time to say "Merci".

It was my best marathon ever.

When was the last time you showed mercy or said merci?

C'EST MAGNIFIQUE! Quebec City Marathon/Marathon des Deux Rives

0 comments:

Post a Comment