About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

A little child shall lead them, putting away childish things

Posted by Don Paine

I was at an Ecclesiastical Council review of a candidate for ordination in the UCC and was stimulated in my own personal journey as I mused about a shift from child like faith to adult faith.  She mentioned that her non-thinking child faith had been schooled into adult knowledge of faith.  I asked her a question that channeled my thought.

"In the old testament a prophet named, Isaiah said, "A little child shall lead them" and a new testament apostle wrote, "put away childish things" so please comment on the relationship of "unthinking child like faith" and "thinking adult faith'?


She gave a great answer about it being both.  Here are my musings:


In Child faith that becomes adult faith...


The World of make believe becomes the work of believing that "all things are possible"


The world of childish innocence sees innocence in all things

The world of boundless energy, beautiful letting go, and bountiful faith hope and love becomes the discipline of Loving one another, confessing our faults and failings one to another and praying for one another.

Works of wonder becomes the witness to the world of wonder

World of childish fears becomes the Walk by faith not by sight

Combo of Isaiah's "a little child shall lead them" and  Paul's  "put away childish things" produces people of faith who seeing beyond, walk through, and talk of the fellowship of suffering and the power of the resurrection.  In suffering that I do not understand I become like a child who just needs to now the touch of the hand of love.  As an adult i know what I know not because I know but because "God Knows" and is in the here and now regardless of anything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment