About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Waves of Adversity, Storms, Calm, and Cleansing

Posted by Don Paine

I was talking to someone today abouts waves as his mental picture of his internal world.  AS we explored his visual sensation and representation of his inner world he saw only that waves distorted his vision.  He noticed that he was faceless in the wave. As he found his face be began to see more about the waves:  they were resilient and kept coming, they were powerful as in a storm crashing against a boat or on the shore.  As he looked out he saw that they dissipated into calm.  As he looked in toward the shore, he saw them crashing on the shore.  I asked him to notice what happens to the shore.  He saw that the waves washed the shore.

(Unspoken to him, I recalled the line from Amy Carmichael that comments on the doubt in humanity of forgiveness:  "As if the God who washes every seashore clean of all the footprints we leave there could not also wash away any footprints we leave behind us clean as if we had never done what we did, or gone where we went.  While I kept this to myself it was a good internal reminder of the grace of God always there for all, at all times, and in all places.)

I asked him what it made him think of or how he felt toward any of these images or parts of him.  He felt appreciative that he had not seen the calm looking outward toward the vast sea and the cleansing looking inward toward shore.  He distrusted himself because he could not see himself and as he could see more he began to see the crown of his head.  He is on a journey of seeing more and trusting more which I was privileged to bear witness too.

Another time I may tell him about what my part recalled as he was having his vision but it was his time and place and that was about me not him.  It may come up a gain as we ran out of time and it was his time not mine.

I am thankful that I see not just the troubled sea but the calm and cleansing see as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment