About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

A Man of Courage and Compassion

Posted by Don Paine

The expression I often hear these days is "Man Up".

Today is the 6th anniversary of my father's passing into the next world and it is March 5th!  I think my Dad had a 6th sense.  A number of times when as a young man I asked him things I am sure he wanted to tell me what to do or what not to do but he usually just said something reflective like, "do you think that is a good idea?"  He allowed me to make my mistakes and to mind my business!  I thank him for that gift.

I wonder what it was like for him as a young man to leave his family and his new wife and get on the "Queen Mary" to ultimately storm the beaches of Normandy with fellow soldiers.  I wonder what he thought about as he wondered if the invasion would be a success and what grief would grip his soul as he watched his comrades killed and felt his own underserved but gracious survival.  I imagine what kept him alive was his courage from knowing God;s presence with him regardless of anything and his compassion for his family, countryman, and world. He never talked about it much. His legacy is one of silent courage and serene compassion.

Thank you, Dad.  You really taught me to "Man Up!"

Love from one of your four sons in honor from all of us,
Don

PS  Mom, we love that you are still with us and know this is a hard day for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment