About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Hint from a dog

Posted by Don Paine

We have a golden retriever who we joke is more like a bronze evader,  However she has taught us a thing or two.

First and foremost, the commands of "Look at Me, Watch me, Eyes on me!" are ways of getting her way to become the "way" we want her to be.  As I watched her go from a self absorbed, unable to focus dog with an injured psyche, to a dog who actually looks at us, makes eye contact, and clearly connects (by the way that took 3 years of training), I noticed something intriguing and interesting.  Her way of riveted fear has become our way of faithful contact and connection.

I began to wonder what if this is what Jesus had in mind we said said, "I am the way".  He was not saying I am the way as if he was outlining a road map to a destination.  Today I asked my wife the way to the nearest Fed-ex and we concluded that is what the GPS is for.  The way is a way of take this road then that road.  It was not the way to heaven that Jesus was outlining in John 14, it was the way of heaven come to earth for all to see.  With eyes on Jesus we walk the way he walked not on the road or in the places he walked but "the way" he walked.  It was not a bout the way to a destination but the way to live out the destiny of heaven here on earth.

Jesus was saying to Thomas and all of us, "look at me, watch me, keep your eyes on me" and you will be connected to and in contact with me.  Then you will live the Jesus way, the way of Jesus,  not to a destination but as a designation of focus.  This would not be a Global Position System but a Global Posturing System.

As I have said before, I do not want to walk where Jesus walked, I want to walk in the way Jesus walked.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment