About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

God gazing

Posted by Don Paine

I looked up into the sky.  It is beautiful and bright with some few white clouds, like pieces of white cotton on a blue blanket  The sun shining brightly.  It looks like a perfect day. I thought of all the different things I see in the sky: Winged birds flying with the freedom of the wind and the joy of the heavens.  Planes man's attempt to fly so he could have more time to visit.  I think of the plane that just took my daughter back to Seoul, Korea.  Ot the planes that brought my other daughter and her family to Yellowstone Park for a vacation.  I thought how good God is to give us wings to fly and the joy of being with people who love us and who we have love towards.

Then I recalled the forecast:  hurricane Irene is coming up the coast and there will be rain and more rain and high winds for days.  Indeed the calm before the storm.

Then I recalled that nearly 10 years ago on a Tuesday morning so similar to today their was a storm about to come our way.  A storm of "hells fury" when people feel abused and terrorized so think they have a right to abuse and inflict terror.  Who would have ever thought of planes being used as missiles to crash into the twin towers without respect to human life on the airplane or in the towers, nor the terrorists themselves.  Their was not warning, no forecast just the sudden trauma of the tragedy.  For a time the heat of that fury galvanized a nation.


I am reminded that there is also a calm in the storm and a calm after the storm.  Calmness is the gift of faith in a world of chaos.  The certainty of heaven's calm is the balance point of "hell's fury".  The sky is not falling. Peace and love are rising to meet the peace of the blue sky and the arm love of the sun.

Thanks be to God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment