About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Hatred is Not Right, It is All Wrong!

Posted by Don Paine





















In this book Chad Gibbs challenges us to truly understand what it means to love your enemies.

In each chapter he begins with a quote.  One of them is "I hate quotes".  There is nothing I hate more than when people quote things out of context.  However, who am I to address the issue of context as none of us knows 100% the context of anything.



In one chapter he quotes, Psalm 139, "I Have nothing but hatred for them, I count them my enemies".  This is verse 22.  The context is this entire Psalm and perhaps all the Psalms as when originally given there were no chapters of verses just a flowing document with a clear focus.  Hmm?

So to context:  verse 19 follows an emphasis on the quality of transparency and openness before God. In the first verse (the chapters and verses are helpful for navigating and addressing issues but let's always remember that they are not inspired) David says, "O Lord you have searched me and know me".  Affirming that God already knows all is a good place to start.  He affirms God's love and grace.  Is he on his way to prove or ask something?  Honestly do we not all, at times, do that?  Then in verse 19 he says,"If only you would slay the wicked oh God.  Away from me you blood thirsty men.  They speak of you with evil intent, your adversaries misuse your name.  Do I not hate those who hate you oh Lord and abhor those who rise up against you?  I have nothing but hatred for them, I count them my enemies!"  

Projecting God's response, what nerve for me to do so, I confess the arrogance but to make a point here goes:  Really David you count them as your enemies.  Interesting as I have no enemies?

It sounds like David is asking God for an "Atta boy, David.  Let's kill off all our enemies then there will be peace in our land!  Sounds good.  It is all wrong!

Hatred even if it has a good focus is wrong as it feeds on the venom that it says it hates.  In the end we die!  We loose our effectiveness to make difference.

Notice what God whispers into David's heart in the next verse.  Was it, "Love your enemies".  An affirmation that you have  a point David, they do have evil intent, they do misuse my name is followed by a, "you too David".  You are misusing my name and you have evil intent. Wo! Really? Yes.

David got what we often miss in this passage.  Being right does not make you right.  Hating anything does not make that thing stop or go away.  Rather it fuels it and strengthens its venom.

I can hear David saying.  O My God.  It is me that is the problem not them.  Counting them as my enemies does not put me on the side of God unless it is to love them as God loves them.  Love is what transforms even if it is abused, misused, and refused.

Verses 23-24: "Search me O God and know my heart test me and know my anxious thoughts See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." 

The everlasting way is the way of love and transformation not the way of hatred and perpetuation.

So let me apply.  I do not hate when people take things out of context.  I hate when I do.  I commit to trying to be faithful to the context.  The context and content of Chad's book is to challenge us to "love our enemies".  Their is no such thing as righteous hatred unless you are righteous.  None of us is!  Chad is right on when he implies that idealization and idolization create a pathway for hatred.

Jesus' idea was and is, "love your enemies".  It is the pathway to peace.  Love is the greatest of the things that last forever for it transforms everything and everyone in its path.

"Lead us in the everlasting way of love and peace"  Amen

0 comments:

Post a Comment