About Me

My photo
I am a pastor and a clinical psychotherapist. My life's passion is defining healthiness from a human perspective and paralleling it to the holiness of God, divine perspective. Shifting perspectives creates a paradigm that is alongside of rather than over and against. The parakalein of God and the paradoxes of humanity are redefined. Humanity is all about winning and yet we are losing ground everywhere. Divinity is all about letting go of the desire to win and the fear of loss. The Divine embraces the world with loving care regardless of anything.

Search This Blog

Exploring the one true God

Posted by Don Paine

I meet Suneet from India at a recent conference.  It was so cool to dialogue with open non-judgmental presence and to offer the same to him.


I arrived back at the room into which we had been thrust as room mates at LMU in LA.  He was beginning his devotions as a Hindu using Indian Music, Yoga and meditation.  I had just been for a run during which time I had meditated on the mystery of God's majesty.

I totally respected his sacred space.  He interrupted his focus for a brief dialogue then he returned to his meditation and I to my shower.  We were both cleaning different parts of our selves.

We later discovered so many similarities of heart, soul, mind and spirit.  I attended his workshop and learned that the Indian/HIndu idea of God was not in conflict with the Christian idea of God.  The essence of God is love and peace, hesed and shalom, agape and erainea.

He explained that a guru is not a person but an inner reality of God's peaceful and loving presence.  I explained that in the Internal Family System's model of therapy and life and in the Christian model of living, "The SELF" is an inner reality of God's calm, creative, courageous and compassionate presence.

When there is mutual respect between two people regardless of their theological or psychological or ethnic systems there is love and peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment